Saturday, July 29, 2006

Blankets by Craig Thompson



Blankets by Craig Thompson

Blankets is about Craig Thompson as a child and entering adulthood. He writes about first love, guilt, and religion. Thompson shows the reader his life as a teen and child: being bullied in school, not being a good enough older brother to his younger brother, Phil, but he also shows he and Phil connecting through art and their own imaginations. You watch as he meets a girl named Raina and learns about her family: soon-to-be divorced parents, a snobby older sister and two adopted, mentally challenged older siblings. We also watch as he explores the Christian religion and wonders about what to do when he "grows up". This book has amazing art, great writing and perfectly captures the life of the author. It's the only 582 page book that seemed to go by too quickly, so you better buy it...or I won't be your friend anymore.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

I avoided buying this book. I would go to the bookstore and pick it up and flip through it between piles of monthly comics I was too poor to buy so I cheated and just read them. And it grew on me. Now, I love the book. It's one of those things I'll read from time to time and never get tired of.

Have you checked out Carnet de Voyage?

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Staples
Staples